Wednesday, December 28, 2016

No Cover Needed

Things are not always what they seem to be. You know the whole, "Don't judge a book by it's cover" thing. It's real. It's true. Although, some covers are fancier and more appealing than others. BUT what really matter is what's inside, the content, the spirit, the soul of that book. Take spirited pages and add an eye-catching cover and you're gold. Take empty words and slap a decorated cover on it and you will be able to tell, people will be able to tell, it just won't add up. It's not authentic, you're selling me the motorcycle (vender la moto in Spanish means selling me something that it really isn't worth, tricking me). And just to add another Spanish "dicho" (saying) here.. even though the monkey dresses in silk, she is still a monkey (Aunque la mona se vista de seda, mona se queda). You just know when things are not authentic. Maybe you don't listen or you're not sure, but in time you learn.

I find this to be true for people, too. We cannot judge anyone by how they look, the job they have, the way they dress, though all of these things can tell A LOT about a person, we never know their intention or the pureness of their being. You know how you can tell? By being around them. By experiencing them, by reading them, by turning from one page to another, by moving through the ups and downs with them, by seeing how they move through the different phases of the journey. Just like the reading of a book. Are they true to their word? Do they show up? What are their challenges and do they admit to them? Are they honest? Are they kind? Are they open to growth? Sometimes these things are hard for us to do even for ourselves.

For me, one of the most challenging things I am coming to face is being honest with myself. Brutally honest with myself. What am I doing that is not serving me? What am I doing that has potential for exponential growth? Where am I holding myself back? How am I trying to protect myself when I don't really need to be protected? What am I afraid of and what am I waiting for? What do I really desire? All of these answers may not seem clear to me, but the more I tune in with myself, get quiet and Listen, they are ALL there. I already have these answer, all of the answers, if I just give myself the time to Tune In. I am the one who knows Me the best. I am the one who knows what works best, what feels best, and what I really want...

It brings me to dinner tonight. I love going to this restaurant called Ayurveda Cafe on 94th and Amsterdam. There is no menu, they serve you what is prepared that day. They have delicious vegetarian meals in a calm, soothing environment. Ayurveda is the Indian holistic health system which incorporates the balancing of the "Doshas", or elements, that make up each individual. At Ayurveda Cafe, they incorporate all tastes to bring balance to the doshas, and I always feel great after eating there. On the way out, you grab a quote from this intricately painted wooden box on the entry table. Sitting next to it is a giant statue of Ganesha, candles, and several musical instruments. Tonight I picked, "Accept your personality: do not try to get rid of anything about yourself. As you live more and more in the moment, your manifesting personality plays a part in your transformative process." All about acceptance and being here now. Being in this moment with ALL that it brings. I don't need to put a fancy cover on, I don't need to appear to be something I'm not. What I am is good enough, I've got spirited pages and loads and loads of stories to share. That are worth sharing. That I'm hear to tell. That is me. That is who I am and why I'm here. The cover will come and it will sell itself. No need for anything more. It's going to be great, it is great, maybe it doesn't even need a cover...

No comments:

Post a Comment