Wednesday, December 7, 2016

These Things Happen All the Time


This is me in front of a dumpster. A dumpster that stands in front of my apartment in Hamilton Heights. It's been there for, oh, three weeks now? It is all the remnants of the lawyers office that burned in a fire in late July, right below our apartment. What a story that is. Anywho, don't I look happy? Well, I was and I am. When I remember. When I remember that despite all the mess that happens all over the place (like the fire and this dumpster), life is a miracle and it is all happening exactly as it should. Me, here, this moment. You, there, reading this. Perfect. Exactly as it is meant to be. That's why when I hold meetings (which seems to be more and more often) I always begin with a greeting and thanks and I make sure to look around the table at all the individuals there with me to acknowledge their presence and thank them for taking the time to be there at that moment, together. It is no coincidence or small thing... really!

I was reminded of this again by my roommate's cousin who is visiting the city for a short time. He told me the story of how him and my roommate were wandering to find a bakery when they ran into one of his friends and my roommate's ex from Holland. Holland, do you even know anyone from Holland? Do you know anyone who has even been to Holland? Yea, thought so. So he is passing by for a few days on a stopover to Quito, Ecuador. A South American journey by way of New York. What are the chances that he would meet an old friend and girlfriend on a street corner? In a city of 8.4 million, you would think it would be slim. It's not!

It happened to me and my dear friends Kristin and Emily, when they came to visit me in New York City in 2013. I was working up in Tarrytown at the time at a private English language boarding school, and they flew in from Cincinnati and Lubbock, Texas to visit me. I was going through a rough time and they felt some Spain connections (that's where we all met) would be helpful. They were right! So on one of the few days we spent wandering around the city, we were on our way out of the subway and to a restaurant for dinner. Who do we run into on the street corner than another girl who lived with us while in Spain. No, seriously. Three of us together from Spain, so many Spain vibes, and then we run into another friend who we spent a lottt of time with there. She, too, was visiting the city only for a day to do grad school interviews. We arranged a date the next day with her and the Spain magic continued. You see what I mean? It's awesome. These things happen all the time. That's a quote from somewhere. Just looked it up. "These strange things happen all the time." Magnolia (1999). I used to be really into that movie, time to watch again! I loved the part where frogs fell from the sky... #magiceverywhere #itsallconnected #goodvibes #tribe #theuniverseconspires #itsallhappening #sotiredneedtosleep

No comments:

Post a Comment